In this section, you can create new roles, manage the permissions of each role, and assign users to the desired roles.
Each roles contains a list permissions, that enable one or more actions. A user can be assigned to more than one role, and the permissions will be merged.
In addition, each project can have its own customized roles: users can be assigned a very restrictive global roles, and then a more permissive project roles.
Example: a project administrator doesn’t have to be able to configure the application’s SMTP settings, or access other projects. A global group with only SEARCH and UPDATE_PROFILE permissions will suffice, while at project level a group with all the permissions enabled will be assigned to him.
Lavagna ships with the global roles out of the box: ADMIN and DEFAULT. Those two roles cannot be deleted.
This is the we of the ROLES tab:
A new role can be created using the top right form: just write the role name, and click ADD.
To assign a new user to the role, click in the role’s footer, select a user, and click Add.
A role can be deleted if it’s not a system role. In that case, a will be available in the role’s footer. Click on it, confirm, and the role will be deleted.
If it’s required to know to which roles a user it assigned, the top left text field provides a filter. Search for a specific user, and the view will only display the users matching the filter.
To each role belongs a list of permissions, describe in details in this section.
Global application permissions are:
- ADMINISTRATION: access the application administration panel, and the ability to create new projects
- UPDATE_PROFILE: update the user’s own profile
- SEARCH: enable the search bar across the entire application
Project permissions are:
- PROJECT_ADMINISTRATION: access the project administration panel,and the ability to create new boards
Board permissions are:
- READ: access boards in read only mode
Columns permissions are:
- CREATE_COLUMN: create a new columns within a board
- MOVE_COLUMN: ability to move a column around the board, including to the ability to move the column to the archive, backlog, and trash
- RENAME_COLUMNS: change the column name, and the status associated with the column
Card permissions are:
- CREATE_CARD: create a new card
- UPDATE_CARD: change the card title, description, due date, milestone, watchers, and assigned users
- MOVE_CARD: ability to move a card around the board, including to the ability to move the card to the archive, backlog, and trash
- CREATE_CARD_COMMENT: create a comment. In case of user own comment, it’s also possible to update and delete
- UPDATE_CARD_COMMENT: update another user comment
- DELETE_CARD_COMMENT: delete another user comment
- MANAGE_ACTION_LIST: ability to create, modify, and delete action lists. This also applies to the action items within a list
- CREATE_FILE: upload a file
- UPDATE_FILE: not used in this version of lavagna, but reserved for future use cases
- DELETE_FILE: delete a file
- MANAGE_LABEL_VALUE: create, delete, and update labels
To edit a role’s permissions, click on the name. A pop-up will open, showing the list of permissions.
When a permission is changed, the change will be highlighted.
Below is an example of editing a global role’s permissions:
While this is the view of a project role: